Went to Efendy’s on Monday nite with the other lodgers. It’s probably my last dinner with all the rest of the lodgers together. It’s a Turkish restaurant and we all ordered meze mix and hummus served with bread. It was really good and had a good time just chatting with other lodgers. Will really miss them.
Saw a patient with Madura foot, which is called Mycetoma cause by mixed fungal infection. I saw him as follow up after 6 weeks of antibiotics already. It was still weepy with a couple of open sinuses. The infection goes into the deep tissues and deforming the bones as well. The treatment can take months to years. This patient has been dealing with this for 10 years already with surgeries and various meds. What a sight.
Of course, this week was buzzing with the Icelandic volcanic eruption and the airspace being cleared or not. On top of that I’m scehdule to fly this Friday, so everyday is a waiting game to see if the flights are going in and out of UK and whether if there will be a second eruption. My worry is being stranded in London since there are news that hotels are booked solid and are charging 3x the normal prices. If stranded, I would rather be stranded in Kampala. I ended up cancelling my rafting trip in Jinja cuz I wasn’t sure if my flight is going and if not, I needed to be in town to re-book.
Last day at the clinic was uneventful, but had lots of time chatting up with the patients while waiting for Dr Stockley. It was also the last day of med school. Parts of the day, felt like I’m ready to be called Dr. Cheung but other parts of the day is like not quite there yet. There are so many interesting patients and really enjoyed my time talking to them.
Of course, I’m not quite ready to leave Kampala yet, so I procrastinated in packing. I don’t want this trip to end yet. If another opportunity like this come up again, I would do this in a heart beat. Definitely will be planning something like as part of career in the future.